The BlogEngine.NET road map should give you a glimpse of future versions as they stand today. It is a work in progress and we will make a post on the front page when this document has been updated.
Version 2.0 (2010)
- Migrate to ASP.NET 3.5/IIS-7
- Multiple blogs on single installation
- jQuery/AJAX out of the box
- Scalability improvements
- SEO improvements
- Better user and role management
- Redesigned admin panel
- Refactoring for better extensibility
Version 2.5 (June 2011)
- Upgraded to .NET 4.0
- Multiple Blogs in Single Installation
- Razor Theme support (Razor theme included, "Garland-Revisited")
- Converted Admin pages to Razor (Dashboard, Extensions, Themes)
- Install Themes from the BlogEngine.NET Gallery while in the BlogEngine.NET control panel.
- NuGet support.
- New language resource files for Estonian and Polish, and other translations updated.
- Upgraded to jQuery 1.5.2.
- Upgraded to latest version of tinyMCE WYSIWYG editor, v184.108.40.206.
- Numerous fixes and improvements.
Version 2.6 (May 2012)
- Complete gallery integration (handle all packages from admin UI)
- Extend functionality of multiple blogs feature (site aggregation)
- Built-in File Manager with Image Tools
- Quick Notes
Version 2.7 (November 2012)
- Added option to remove .aspx file extensions in URLs
- Added option to turn JS and CSS optimization on/off
- Improvements to user profile
Version 2.8 (April 2013)
- New standard theme
- Improvements to site aggregation
- SQL Server provider works with Azure out of the box
Things we considering for future development
- Improved logging (better UI, categories, search, size limit)
- Responsive UI in admin - ready for tablet or phone
- Web API - expose object model through API, replace most ASMX services used for Ajax calls
- Backup - develop full backup / data backup features
- Upgrade - built into dashboard, call service to pull any feature updates when available
- Gallery validator - process to test gallery installs
- Adaptive flexible theme layout modified by blogger via admin panel
- Task manager - process to run scheduled tasks, like backups or messaging
- Internal messages - communication channel to send messages between blog users
- Communication across blogs - channel to communicate to other blogs if they part of the same community
- Built-in analytics - dashboard should have charts and lists on real-time and basic summary usage
- Simplify data layer by moving to EF with SQL CE as a default provider
- Improve file manager - multiple uploads, create folders etc.
- Sharing - public, unlisted, shared, private assets exposed over Web API